[K12OSN] New install of K12LTSP - repo not found

ssh at tranquility.net ssh at tranquility.net
Fri Oct 21 04:13:59 UTC 2016

On 20.10.2016 19:13, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> As much as I hate to admit it, yeah, I'd have to agree with that
> sentiment now.  It's ironic that LTSP was created to foster low-cost
> computing by using older, diskless computers as thin clients...and has
> become a victim of its own success.  Nowadays, we can get pretty
> powerful used desktop computers for as little as $99.  LTSP's goal has
> been achieved...at the cost of its own continued success!
>
>  Ironic, indeed....
>
>  These days, the "low cost" computer option is to just pick up some
> good used computers and Ghost an image to the boxes.
>
>  But oh, boy, when LTSP came out, it sure was needed, and it sure did
> fill that need in excellent style.
>
>  --TP

And a mighty 'thanks' to all who ever worked on this. I started running
LTSP about 14 years ago. I have enough old hardware for clients  that I
still run it at home. It's not a mighty media portal, but for basic
web/docs/email it still works very well.

cat /etc/issue
CentOS release 5.7 (Final)

There's still updates for CentOS, even that old. I still have cronjobs
that rsync everything important to a spare drive for backup. A few years
ago I had a motherboard failure, plopped the drives into another server.
After a bit of extra thinking and finding new hardware, it came right
up.