[katello-devel] User self-role Enhancements : merged to master

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 08:21:41 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 05:43 PM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
> High-level summary of changes:
>
> - self-roles removed from the Roles UI
> - User UI split in to tabs : General, Roles & Permissions
> - self-role permissions moved to Users -> Roles & Permissions - You'll
> no longer see the self-role mentioned.  Instead, you'll see permissions
> that can be applied directly to the user.
> - User's roles moved from Users -> Edit to Users -> Roles & Permissions
>
> - self-role naming convention - change from "<username>_role" to random
> string consisting of 32 digits  (This change is to avoid possible name
> collisions when users create Roles.)
> - self-role naming is internal and not exposed to Katello users
>
> - seeds.rb - updated to reflect the fact that self-role names are no
> longer predictable.  (i.e. grant permissions through the User vs to the
> user's self-role)

How do you determine which role is "self-role"? The plan was to have a
boolean column called "selfrole". Oh I see it now:

Role.all(:conditions=>{"users.own_role_id"=>nil}, :include=> :owner)

Elegant. I would prefer a column. This works too.

We could also add username prefix before the 32 characters for debugging
purposes. Just not to have only random characters if you do "hand"
select in the db.

When I try to create new permission its not working. Does this mean when
permission is already found in the db its not added? Maybe a message box
telling user "permission already there". Try: Roles, superadmin_role,
add permission, type: jammit, scope: all, verbs: all.

Nice change. Thumbs up! Thanks

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno