[katello-devel] Ruby and HAML syntax check

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 09:57:11 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 09:45 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
> seems like a lot of extra setup and steps for little benefit.

What extra setup have you got on your mind? These are just two lines in
our spec file.

Benefit? There is. Last week it helped me to catch an HAML syntax
error[*] that was only appearing on Fedora 14 (64 bits). Fedora 15 was okay.

The standard practice in Java world is to precompile all the JSP/JSPF
and this kind of stuff during build phase. It helps to catch syntax
errors before they reach the customer. We did not even compile (check)
our Ruby code, not speaking about HAML pages.

The only drawback is RPM packaging is now a bit slower. Ruby syntax
chack is fast, HAML is slower. I could work on that - shouln't be a
problem to do this in a Ruby script in a loop or something.

If you concern is just a speed I can fix that.

[*] 3d89f4ef3d11e6137f26be6109758602e5d72e8d

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno