[katello-devel] Activation keys requirements

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 13:32:24 UTC 2011

Hello,

let me sum up first phase requirements for activation keys (AK) support
in Katello. AK in Satellite today on few lines:

- the format is ID + ALPHANUM
- has numeric usage limit
- used for registering to
  - base channel
  - child channels
  - additional entitlements
  - specific packages
  - system groups
- universal AK for systems without AK

First phase stories are:

As a cli user, I would like to create activation keys for my org.
As a cli user, I would like to add a default environment to the key.
As a cli user, I would like to assign a template to a key.
As a client, I would like to register with one or more keys and have my
default data set up

My assumptions are (please comment):

- new model class ActivationKey
- ActivationKey has column called "value" (32 [A-Za-z_-] characters)
- ActivationKey belongs_to Organization
- ActivationKey has default Environment column (reference to existing)
- ActivationKey has default Template column (reference to existing)
- user can CRUD activation keys using katello CLI
- katello system register --activationkey=key1 registers the systems to
organization, environment and template defined by the AK

Questions:

Q0: Are Environment and Template required options? Or could AK live
without one (or both) of them?

Q1: What should

# katello system register --activationkey=key1,key2

do? What organization/environment/template should the system belong to?
Both? Does it make sense?

Q2: Any objections to the AK format (alphanums)? I guess it needs just
to be unique enough (and hard to guess for crackers).

Q3: Is there any plan to implement universal AKs?

Q4: What about AK permissions? Are AKs organization-wide (no explicit
permissions - once you are "in" you can do whatever you want with them)?
Or classical ownership permission (owner = all rights, others = read
only, owner can assign permissions to particular users)?

Q5: What are Pulp/Candlepin integration plans?

Any comments & tips are welcome. Thanks!

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno