[katello-devel] Moving Notifications

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 18:53:43 UTC 2011

On 07/18/2011 02:06 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 12:04 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> On 07/18/2011 01:35 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
>>> I would like to propose that we move the notifications to the middle
>>> top.  I've attached a screenshot with a "Proof of Concept" that I've put
>>> together (took me 5 minutes, and if you all agree, it'll be in the
>>> refactor branch).
>>>
>>> I squeezed up the padding 5px and made the notification itself a bit
>>> wider.
>>>
>>> Anyone object?
>>>
>>> -Jason

>> I like this position much better (it always bothered me that the current
>> way covers up the username/logout parts), but this seems like it would
>> cover up the app a lot worse if there were multiple notifications (which
>> is really annoying).
>>
>> -Justin

> Forgive me for being blunt, but isn't the point of the notifications to
> be sort of in your face?  Should we have an option to turn them off?
>
> I've attached a validation error.

That looks good, and I agree that covering up the logout and such was
not the best.  I just wanted to ensure that on longer error messages the
things that a user would need to edit in light of the notification (e.g.
filling out the fields that had validation errors) were not covered up
by the notification - and causing a user to close the notice and then
forget what they had to fix.

- Eric