[katello-devel] Started going through a setup

Todd Sanders tsanders at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 12:03:05 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 01:29 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I went through the setup process. My goal was via the command line to
> be able to install, sync some content, and promote it to an
> environment, and then consume it from a system. I got to creating the
> first change set, but can not promote it yet either the CLI or the
> GUI. So.. it is getting closer.
>
> Couple of questions/comments:
>

> 1) From the cli, I have to do:
>
> katello -u [USERNAME] -p [PASSWORD] COMMAND SUBCOMMAND [OPTIONS]
>
> for example:
>
> ./bin/katello -u admin -p admin changeset info --org ACME_Corporation
> --name test
>
> Would it make sense to allow the -u -p after the command? So.. for
> example:
>
> ./bin/katello changeset info -u admin -p admin --org ACME_Corporation
> --name test

I still believe we should find a way to leverage this from the
pulp-admin cli core; as all of this has been built.  No reason to keep
spending cycles reinventing this.  In pulp-admin, we allow for -u -p
*before* the command; and --username --password after the command.  We
also allow for you to pull down a certificate to be used with successive
commands via the CLI:

pulp-admin auth login --username <username>  --password <password>

We are in the process of refactoring/reorganizing the pulp client code;
I'll have slagle take a look at reuse for the katello cli.

> 2) The provider type is supposed to be "rhn" to sync redhat conent.
> Should this be CDN, redhat, or something else? RHN seems odd.

I thought we were supporting two types; this is what I have seen and
expect to see via the web ui.

1. redhat
2. custom

We should stay away from "rhn" or "cdn" imo.

> 3) From the UI, is there a way to switch the current org I am looking
> at? I started to use my custom org but I had to go back and use
> ACME_Corporation.

I don't think this is in place yet.  We have a design for an org
selector in the top web ui banner.  jrist may know the plans for wiring
this up.

> 4) The seed data in the install sets up roles and a superadmin (good)
> but also a dummy org and 2 providers. Can we scale this back to
> perhaps one org?

Assume this would just be for testing?  We won't want to seed any orgs
in a users install.  They will need to define during a "first boot" process.

-Todd