[katello-devel] New katello-cli rpm package

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 14:48:41 UTC 2011

Team,

as of today we have brand new spec in the cli/ directory. Do not forget
to run "tito tag" when you make changes in the cli.

Current dependencies are:

Requires:      python-iniparse
Requires:      python-simplejson
Requires:      m2crypto
Requires:      python-kerberos

While I was working on the package I noticed the help2man program (incl.
in Fedora) that converts optparse output as a manpage. I tried it with
Katello and it works.

I could create a script that would go through all the actions and all
the commands and create man pages like katello.8, katello-user.8,
katello-user-create.8 etc.

I could convert these to HTML and install everything into appropriate
places (/usr/man, /usr/share/doc). We could also put HTML pages on the
main katello.org site (and regenerate them recurrently).

Third good thing is I could apply the same script to pulp and contribute
it there. Katello use the same approach as pulp-client and pulp-admin.
It should work for them as well.

Bryan do you think it worth the time? My guess is several hours since I
need to write recursive bash script that will go through all the
actions/commands. I'd need to fix one bug in CLI first too.

ps - there is already some optparse python script but since we use like
15 optparse objects in the CLI (there is no single one) this approach
wont work

LZ

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering