[katello-devel] Proposed change to meaning of an environment's "current changeset"

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Wed May 18 15:12:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

So currently an environment has a changeset (KPEnvironment#changeset)
and a changeset history (KPEnvironment#changeset_history).

Say we have environments A->B->C

Currently the meaning of B.changeset is the set of content that will be
promoted FROM B TO C.  That is when you promote the changeset in B
everything is added to C.

I'm proposing a change to make it so that B.changeset is actually the
content that will be promoted FROM A to B.  To me it makes more sense
logically as B.changeset is the changeset for B, not for C.

This really comes into play with multiple paths, as currently the Locker
only has 1 changeset for an environment.  So it doesn't really work if
you can promote from locker to multiple places.  That is:

Locker -> A
Locker -> B

Today, we only have Locker.changeset, so the same changeset used when
deciding what content should be promoted to A or to B doesn't really
make any sense.

Most of the work is actually front end work (changing the promotions
page) which we need to do to add the environment selector widget anyways.

-Justin