[katello-devel] [pulp-internal] Package Profile Capture Design Doc

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Thu May 26 14:14:41 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 01:40 PM, Pradeep Kilambi wrote:

> Here is the design/spec document for package profile capture story. This
> will impact both Pulp and Katello.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/PackageProfileUpdate
>
> Please lemme know if you guys have further thoughts.

Under things in pulp-client-utils, what does "Package profile Module
(for rpms, jars etc) " mean?

How does the certificate bundle relate to package profile updating? Is
it just for reading the consumer certificate to extract what's needed to
update Pulp/Katello?

The plugin will "# initialize pulp/katello server connection " - what
sort of security is in place for that connection? Will the yum plugin
require anything extra from the user make sure someone couldn't come
along and use the APIs to blank out all of the consumer's package profiles?

You probably want to add something about timing out if Pulp/Katello
can't be contacted. We don't want yum hanging just because the profile
update is taking a while. Even if it's not implemented in this sprint,
it should be in the design document.

"Not Registered; cannot update consumer profile." That should be a bit
more useful, at least telling the user what it is they aren't registered to.

"* The above flow is for pulp-profile-update plugin. Ketello plugin will
do something similar talking to katello api " Just to make sure I'm
clear, this isn't a new plugin model per se, just a library that
retrieves/formats the profile information, right? Pulp and Katello each
then maintain separate yum plugins that take the necessary steps to
communicate that information to their respective projects?

For what it's worth, you might want to restructure the page to show that
distinction better. It's really two concepts here: the common library
for extracting the profile information and then the Pulp-specific yum
plugin and gofer hooks. It's a bit hard to figure out which pieces go
where the way it's laid out.

- --
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126