[katello-devel] [pulp-internal] Package Profile Capture Design Doc

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu May 26 16:14:03 UTC 2011

Lemme throw out a couple of things:

1) The interaction is really between rhsm and pulp, katello is a bit of
a side effect.

2) You mention these 2 featues:

# Package profile Module (for rpms, jars etc)
# Certificate Bundle (to read/write certificates from /etc/pki/consumer)

but later talk about gofer.

Let me suggest this.

1) Since this is rhsm/pulp interaction.. can we merge this into
python-rhsm? That package is already in fedora and RHEL, so it will ease
the transition.

2) If we augment the low level API, candlepin may need to handle a
"No-op" method of receiving the package set of discarding it. If we make
it an extension point, then IT or SAM could leverage this later.

3) I think the package should be limited to yum plugins and a daemon not
tied to gofer. This will make it easy to get into RHEL. The gofer stuff
can be more command and control, and can use the same library code.

Thoughts?

-- bk