[katello-devel] Resources: should they include 'organizations/:id'?

Brad Buckingham bbuckingham at redhat.com
Tue May 31 21:15:04 UTC 2011

Team,

While working on search enhancements, I noticed that we are inconsistent
in how we have resources defined, with respect to including organization
as part of the resource.

For example,

- the following resources include organization:
     /organizations/:organization_id/environments
     /organizations/:organization_id/providers

- however, the following do not:
     /changesets
     /dashboard
     /notices
     /roles
     /sync_plans
     /sync_schedules
     /sync_management
     /systems
     /users

     Note: the above is not all possible resources, just an example... :)

While it may not be necessary to include organization in every resource,
should we be consistent in including it for each resource that can be
defined per organization?  Do we need to include it?

Note: The resolution to this thread should probably apply to both UI and
API.

(In general, given the primary keys that RAILs includes in the model
definitions, we may not necessarily require the organization within the
resource to ensure uniqueness; however, if a user were a super-user,
they might want to be able to provide it to narrow the information
returned to them.)

Thoughts?

thanks,
Brad