[katello-devel] multi-select in lists

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 18:09:55 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 12:50 PM, Tyler Smart wrote:
> Tom, I agree with you. A user should not have to have a blank list before ctrl clicking.

Agreed that ctrl-click of an already selected item should un-select it
(in the multi-select case).

The reason for having to ctrl-click an item when none are selected to do
multi-selecting is due to the tupane paradigm.  Say you normal click an
item from the list.  You get the details page that slides out and
obstructs the right pane actions - the actions that were added last
sprint and can affect multiple items (e.g. for the systems page, Remove
Systems).  Then, if you keep selecting items you can never perform
actions on them unless you manually click the 'close' button.  I could
potentially see an argument for:

Nothing Selected:
Click an item - tupane details slide out
ctrl+click another item - tupane details slide back in and the user is
left in the 'mutli-select' state

Nothing Selected:
ctrl+click item when none selected provides current behaviour

Eric