[katello-devel] multi-select in lists

Jason Rist jrist at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 01:33:43 UTC 2011

On Wed 02 Nov 2011 12:20:19 PM MDT, Tom McKay wrote:

> [...]
>>> 2. Ctrl-click or shift-click to get the first item
>>> 3. Ctrl-click or shift-click to add more items
>>>
>>> It's that first step that really threw me off. The way list
>>> selection works elsewhere (every where else?) is:
>>> 1. Click an item
>>> 2. Ctrl-click or shift-click to add more
>>>
>>> Is there a reason for the difference in our list selection
>>> behavior?
>>>
>>> To further confuse the issue, ctrl-click of an already selected
>>> item does not unselect it but instead selects it, thus clearing
>>> all other selected items. In our current paradigm this
>>> now-selected item needs to be unselected before other items can
>>> once again be multi-selected.
>>>
>>> Hopefully that reads as bad as it feels to me. :)
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

>> Agreed that ctrl-click of an already selected item should un-select
>> it
>> (in the multi-select case).
>>
>> The reason for having to ctrl-click an item when none are selected to
>> do
>> multi-selecting is due to the tupane paradigm.  Say you normal click
>> an
>> item from the list.  You get the details page that slides out and
>> obstructs the right pane actions - the actions that were added last
>> sprint and can affect multiple items (e.g. for the systems page,
>> Remove
>> Systems).  Then, if you keep selecting items you can never perform
>> actions on them unless you manually click the 'close' button.  I
>> could
>> potentially see an argument for:
>>
>> Nothing Selected:
>> Click an item - tupane details slide out
>> ctrl+click another item - tupane details slide back in and the user
>> is
>> left in the 'mutli-select' state
>
> This would be what I'd expect. If there's one selected, slide out details; more than one (or zero) hide details and show multi actions.
>

>> Nothing Selected:
>> ctrl+click item when none selected provides current behaviour
>>

>> Eric

Tom - looks like a bit of enhancement is in order.  I've got a todo
item on my list to add a helptip to the actions pane to make this a bit
clearer, and just like all other helptips, when you click the X, it
goes away until you click the (?)

-J

--
Jason E. Rist