[katello-devel] Default user to have an environment and an org?

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 02:54:44 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 04:27 PM, Tyler Smart wrote:
> Cliff,
>
> I guess my revised question would be about setting up a default environment for the ACME corporation. But the product is not going to ship with ACME Corporation as the name of the default org, is it?

to answer both, nope, I planned for allowing ACME to be
replace/configured during installation. Same for default
username/password combination of admin/admin.

These are hard coded today within the seeds.rb file. I have attached a
patch which will replace those strings with user defined. I've done
initial testing which executes fine. I've not had time to do clean
install running with the patch. The new options show up within --help
output (passed from default answer file).

# katello-configure --help
Usage: /usr/sbin/katello-configure [options]
        --first-user-name=FIRST_USER_NAME
                                     Katello first user (with
Administrator role)
        --first-user-pass=FIRST_USER_PASS
                                     Katello first user's password
        --first-org-name=FIRST_ORG_NAME
                                     Katello first Organization
[...SNIP...]

To use, example:

# katello-configure --first-user-name=foobar --first-user-pass=wibble
--first-org-name=Clifford

Input appreciated.
  - Maybe drop the usage of 'first' - this is a given really :)

The main item I can think off is that I should not be required to enter
this value within one of the following, but allow it to be unset and be
prompted by the installer for the value.
 - default answer file
 - user defined answer file
 - command line option to katello-configure

Sorry it is not a git patch, just raw diff from test system I've been
using tonight.

Thanks,
Cliff