[katello-devel] TDL export validation step

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 11:21:32 UTC 2011

Hello,

there is one bit missing in the TDL export. It works, but there are two
major requirements to have working TDL export:

- exactly one distribution must be included in the template
- organization must have debug certificate generated

While we could be able to automate the second step (e.g. after
organization creation), the first step needs to be done manually by the
user. And it does not make sense to generate invalid TDL which would
fail in the next step.

My proposal is to add some kind of explicit validation. But since the
export is a simple HTTP GET, the validation cannot be done during the
export process because we are returning actual XML file (what to return
when it does not validate - empty file? -> can cause troubles to the user).

I recommend to create explicit action (validate) that would be called
before actual export is triggered by both UI and CLI. This would lead
into two small stories:

Backend:

1. As a cli, I would like to validate system template prior exporting
  1. Create API
  1. Process in the CLI

Frontend:

1. As a user, I would like to validate system template prior exporting

Objections?

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno