[katello-devel] GPG keys - proposed solution

Ohad Levy ohadlevy at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 08:44:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

Looking at the GPG keys story, I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything, so:

in katello
Repo is configured in pulp/katello, adding a new attribute of gpg key URL.
on the client
when candlepin setup yum to use ssl certs, it would also configure the gpgkey (and maybe the gpgcakey) attributes to point to the gpg key url (within pulp repo).

since yum already has the certs, no need for to open up anything on the pulp side, and yum would import the gpg key (e.g. candlepin runs it once or with assumeyes)

now, my question is concerned security:
pulp trust the repo based of the ssl cert, and the client trust the packages based on the gpg key (and ssl), however, in this case, if someone was to hijack the repo, he could replace the gpg key as well (meaning ssl certs is all that is required), does anyone see an issue with that?

thanks,
Ohad