[katello-devel] A couple of community-related questions

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 11:57:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 10:37:32AM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> Aeolus project has an extension for Bundler that allows for simple
> switching between bundler- and rpm-based application deployments. It
> relies on an environment variable to switch between the two
> behaviours. In rpm-mode the extension takes over dependency loading:
> it relaxes version restrictions for gems, and then loads the
> dependencies. See https://github.com/aeolus-incubator/bundler_ext
> for details and https://github.com/aeolusproject/conductor/blob/master/src/config/application.rb
> for example of real-world use.

There has been several approaches discussed this year on the fedora ruby
sig mailing list.

Katello took the simplest approach - to delete Gemfile.lock every start,
bundler just creates new from existing (local) system gems.

Foreman uses approach to run bundler install --local in the post RPM
transaction. It's quick and nice, but it does not work when you update
dependencies (then it actually breaks).

Aeolus uses this, which I like the most at first sight. It basically
turns off bundler

Ruby Fedora packagers (Vit Ondruch) are currently communicating with
bundler upstream to add some (non-default) option to force usage of
system gems. But upsteam seems to resist. I guess that aeolus-incubator
piece is result of this discussion.

I'd rather wait how Fedora packagers will solve this issues. They are
under heavy pressure from various Red Hat and Fedora Ruby teams. All
have the same issue with Bundler. It really seems the Aeolus approach is
the best IMHO.

So how about to re-raise this again in two months?

Btw Bundler is Linux-unfriendly in terms of serious deployment. It's
a weird approach Rails community fallen in love with IMHO. Very "cool"
for initial development, but that's all.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine