[katello-devel] default user page size

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 14:24:23 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Rist" <jrist at redhat.com>
To: "Brad Buckingham" <bbuckingham at redhat.com>
Cc: katello-devel at redhat.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:35:35 PM
Subject: Re: [katello-devel] default user page size

On Wed 01 Aug 2012 04:34:02 PM MDT, Brad Buckingham wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 06:10 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> On 08/01/2012 05:47 PM, Tom McKay wrote:

+1 to configurable - I think that was always the plan.  I'm thinking we
have a page size and an opt-out option.

--
Jason E. Rist
Senior Software Engineer

So, I decided to ask some of the consultants in the training session that I am right now attending what they thought about the page size and they told me they are usually managing 100s of systems in the real world and they are usually managed in groups that allows them to handle fewer at a time. However, they love what Satellite lets them do which is the ability to set the size ( 50, 100, 200 all the way upto 400 (!!!) per page). So, I think cranking up to 50 for the starting default size is a great idea and  any additional configuration will be a big bonus. If we allow them to change the default size, then they expect the system to remember this when they log back in. One consultant also highlighted the perils of a 'select all' on a list ( don't know if we have that ability in Katello) that only selects all on a page and not the whole result set. Hope this helps.

I like the idea of having a different default size for content search and promotions.

-Malini