[katello-devel] Case sensitive behavior in katello

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 19:22:56 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 06:06 PM, Eric Sammons wrote:

>> IMHO - usernames should not be case sensitive, but I could also see
>> where an MS Active Directory environment in play it may be important
>> not lowercase everything for a user authentication to successfully
>> occur.
>>
>> In general, I feel that we shouldn't allow Dev, DEV, dev to be
>> different... but, with how we have things today, what is the negative
>> user experience/feedback to say we should change?
>>    - I'd prefer to not change things, just to change it into what we
>> think is more correct.
>>     - Upgrades would be a blast to try and force upgrade folks from
>>     Dev,
>> DEV, dev to dev, dev1, dev2.
>>
>> Cliff
>>

> I would consider this change to be a proactive change.  It is only a matter of time before this could negatively impact a customer and it also takes away from the quality of the product we are delivering.

I figured I should ask for motivation, since it was obvious to me, but
better to check than assume.

I like the proactive approach. I wish we hadn't implemented the code as
we have it today :)

So, likely for others to give input/decide.

My only negative is potential impact to current users for upgrades.

> Also, it should be noted, what I am suggesting here is based on a couple of bugs that others in QE have opened.  The suggestion is a check to verify that when you create a new "abc" that it and no other incarnation of it exists.
>
> Again, this is more of a design and proactive change - we don't have a large enough customer base yet to where I would expect someone to be complaining about this.

Cliff,