[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 11:27:52 UTC 2012

On 14/08/12 12:07 PM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:13:32PM -0700, Michael McCune wrote:
>> I'd much rather do the following to ensure our yum config values on
>> the clients are readable and sacrifice i18n in order to do so:
>>
>> 1) use an ASCII label for reops if we are going to really implement
>> repo renaming
>> 2) force Org (possibly), Env and Repo names to be ASCII
>> 3) Any existing utf-8 data for these values is left alone and users
>> are warned we do not support this, or we encode it in some way such
>> that it works
>>
>> Is renaming environments really worth all this effort?  If so, lets
>> not sacrifice our usability at the client level just to support it.
>>
> +1
>
> I would not say Cliff's recommendation was defeated by UTF-8. The key
> for labels is to use ASCII there. Being Czech, I very often see websites
> "fixing" my content name into ASCII labels and using them in URLs. Some
> websites do this better automatically, some are worse. But the idea
> remains the same.
>
> Example for "žluťoučký kůň".
>
> Good translation: "zlutoucky kun".
>
> Bad one: "?lu?ou?k? k??" or "luouk-k" or variations :-)
>
> Unfortunately this can be applied only for characters with UNICODE
> normal forms. For example, Chinese can't be translated that easy way and
> user would need to put his alphanum label on his own. Penalty for
> renaming feature? No, even Chinese admins would like to have nice yum
> URLs and repo names.
My understanding is that this only applies to urls, not yum-metadata.
See my example in reply to Mike's email.

Forcing ascii-only characters for user-input in a field that supposed to
help users keep track of their stuff in an otherwise localized
application, is a terrible, terrible choice (if not a slap in user's
face). The bottom line for me is if " *You can't please everyone so aim
to displease everyone equally*".

-d