[katello-devel] Modelling of environments, products, etc in Katello (related to renaming of environments)

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 11:57:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:37:06PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> On 14/08/12 12:05 PM, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> >How do you propose to solve situation when you have a resource
> >
> >	prod
> >
> >and it gets renamed to
> >
> >	prod-old
> >
> >and then the admin wants to create new resource named
> >
> >	prod
> >
> >? Will you allow them to create that resource with this name (breaking
> >the expectation because the new prod content might be completely
> >different), or will the (now) prod-old occupy the prod name forever?
> I would not allow the user to create new resource named 'prod', as
> it would introduce ambiguity.

What is the difference between renaming prod to prod-old, and removing
prod and creating prod-old with the same content?

> >The labels are just a human readable names assigned to resources.
> labels remain human-readable only in a subset of all locales. With a
> completely non-ascii based locale, the labels will be anything but
> human readable. Think Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.

It's still better for a Russion user to have environment called
"prod" in US-ASCII than to be forced to spell "29f920a8ee9f829b8cdd8"
everywhere.

> >If
> >the admin on the server decides that the
> >
> >	prod
> >
> >label should now point to different object, why stop them?
> Because something, somewhere is possibly using the url before change
> to point to the original resource. Now it's pointing to a completely
> different resource, and there's no way to notify the user of the
> change.

If the admin completely changes attributes / internals / content
of that resource, it will also be pointing to different resource,
semantics-wise.

> >point to the same resource? Here the first will likely be used
> >internally and could be used by the super careful user who want to
> >protect from any label manipulation, and the second one would be used
> >by users who trust the admin and they always want to use their
> >production environment, no matter if it was just created from scratch
> >or renamed three times in the mean time.
>
> Why introduce TWO ways to identify a resource, one of them
> non-uniquely, if we can use a url + search for resource based on
> metadata (labels, names, what have you).

Well sure,

	/something/search?label=prod

is just as good as

	/something/label/prod