[katello-devel] Licensing?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:51:39 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 02:23 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> OK...
>
> Katello is GPLV2, and Aeolus is ASL. It would be nice to make it easy to
> share code, and we know Apache is kinda a big bully around their fancy
> license. We can not move to GPLV3 (like Foreman) since that is no better
> [1]. Couple of options:
>
> 1) Katello can switch to either ASL, or MIT.
> 2) Katello could dual license current and ASL/MIT
> 3) Do nothing
>
> I dont think we need to worry about any of the backend projects, just
> the rails parts.

There has been history of other companies, which built upon Red Hat
projects. And I'm afraid some of them are not open-source companies by
heart and they may to hesitate to contribute back or even release source
code.
GPLv2 forces you to release source code, while neither MIT nor ASL do
not forces you to release (modified) source code.

For this reason I vote for 3) - do nothing and stay on GPLv2.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering