[katello-devel] RFC: Notification system

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 14:34:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 09:53:55AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I see a couple of stages.
>
> First would be Engine X (Perhaps not in ruby) publishes an event
> which a usr can register to. Data from the event is used to create a
> text email which goes out.
>
> Second, fancier CEP (if I get 10 events in 2 minutes, send out an email).
>
> Third, engine can query data stores to create their own events.

Ah, this is actually not so far off from something we've kicked around
as an idea in the past, pertaining to logging and event notification. We
liked the idea of a sort of central event daemon people can write to,
and various applications can register webhooks or something of the sort
to receive a notification of events matching various criteria -- so that
Component X can ask to be notified any time an instance launches, and
Component Y could ask to be notified of authentication failures. Adding
email to that should be pretty easy.

Bonus points for somehow integrating
https://github.com/paulasmuth/fnordmetric/ with this.

Though I'm still worried about making this too complicated. I think this
is a good end goal, but I don't want us to be delayed from implementing
notifications at all while we design a complex system.

-- Matt