[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

Partha Aji paji at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 14:50:11 UTC 2012

<SNIP>
> we are back to discussing discrimination against users not using
> ascii-based character sets. Another point of contention - the
> resource
> id has to be unique, so something like this works and stays valid
> after
> w/e changes users make to the resource:
> http://blah.org/environments/<some id here>/
>
> In our case url of the resource is also its uri, and I'll put
> emphasis
> on unique here. No human can generate random enough information, and
> repeatedly asking the user to re-enter a bit of information is bad ui
> too. Much easier is to generate the bit automatically, leads to a
> better
> user interaction too.
>
> -d
Not sure I agree with "repeatedly asking the user to re-enter a bit of information is bad ui", I mean I 'd think complaining on duplicate labels and have em re-enter is not that much out of the norm is it? May be we can somehow indicate if the label is already taken as its being typed, if this ends up being a serious pain point.
That being said, I am ok with auto-generated UUIDish labels IF the user leaves the label field blank at the time of creation.

Partha