[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 04:26:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 05:15:58PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> In this light: some piece of code on the client side uses API to
> enumerate available environments. Some time passes. Some admin
> deletes one of the environments. Some time passes. Some admin
> creates an environment with the same label. The original client
> re-syncs environments. Instead of detecting a deleted environment,
> it sees that the environment is there and alive. The resulting
> issues are going to be a living hell to debug.

I don't see any issues in this scenario. Created, deleted, created
again, re-synced. Everything is fine, clients are not able to connect to
the original environment via yum (it has different certificate). CLI
also works, you can re-sync without any problems. What is the issue
again?

Having labels does not mean we are resigning from primary keys. Every
resource should have it's own primary key as we have it today. Anybody
will be able to notice the change. Theoretically numeric id could be
re-assigned by sql server, but that is another story...

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine