[katello-devel] Custom Attributes for a System

Jordan O'Mara jomara at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 03:59:52 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 08/15/2012 04:42 PM, Adam Price wrote:
> > after looking at the email thread about key-value pairs for a
> > system, i put together a small design doc outlining what this
> > change entails. please look it over and make some comments.
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/SystemsCustomAttributesDesign
> >
> > Brno guys, please specifically look over the cli portion. i want to
> > make sure we stay with the same command-style (naming, etc) as the
> > rest of the cli. thanks.
> >
> ouple of things:
>
> 1) How do I extend this to work for more than just systems? i would
> like
> to see this on many objects.
> 2) How do I set up all objects (in an org mind you) to add an
> attribute
> on each object. For example, In my org I would like all systems to
> have
> the AssetTag and Project fields. Then, whoever is defining a system
> will
> see these fields. As a bonus, can I give them a type and some type of
> regex to validate?

I think these two problems could be solved with the same design. Make the attributes table generic
and give any object you want to "Factify" and add a foreign key to that table.

Then, you can create arbitrary rules for fact summation. For example, a system's facts are the union of

the system + the org + the environment

Or something like that

> 3) can I gemify this to share it with aeolus?

IMO this design (as it is now) is not easily exportable to other projects since its basically a single AR model and some FKs

--
Jordan O'Mara <jomara at redhat.com>
Red Hat Engineering, Raleigh