[katello-devel] Foreman integration model question

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 18:48:56 UTC 2012

Hi All,

After the demo this morning I got the hankering to look at some of the
integration code, which I believe is in the foreman_architectures branch.

Poking around the models
(https://github.com/Katello/katello/tree/foreman_architectures/src/app/models)
I see an entirely different way of orchestrating things than we have
done for pulp/candlepin.

Taking user for example we would have:

user.rb
glue/pulp/user.rb

Where the katello user object would include the  glue/pulp/user
module.  The orchestration would all be there, but it would really be a
single class for user that spans both systems.

What I see with foreman is:

user.rb
glue/foreman/user.rb
foreman/user.rb

Where foreman/user is a second class that can be instantiated and used
on its own, while glue/foreman/user.rb is simply the orchestration to
create that object.  I see the use of Resources::ForemanModel, but in
this user instance the foreman user could be manipulated completely
apart from the katello user (which is bad IMHO).  This also is
completely different from our existing orchestration methods.

User is just the best example, but really everything in
src/models/foreman/  seems like it should be in src/models/glue/foreman/ .

-Justin