[katello-devel] Katello-Foreman Integration API Layer Question

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 09:37:12 UTC 2012

On 22/08/12 09:22 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 02:44:14PM -0400, Eric Helms wrote:
>> To clarify a bit, in Katello today, the ruby bindings (for both Pulp and Candlepin) are tied to Katello code and we are working to change that as we do our Pulp V2 migration work. I.E. create a stand-alone set of ruby-bindings to Pulp that Katello can consume.  But are we doing the same with Foreman?
>>
>> A good example of what I mean is Funzo's project deadwood for Katello - https://github.com/calfonso/deadwood
> Well, the best approach would be to generate those automatically. That
> makes big difference.

I think that the only problem that static code generation solves is that
of typing.

I said this in the other thread, and I'll repeat this here. We are
operating within constraints and use conventions of Rails and REST. Our
code should not repeatedly state the obvious, but rather show where and
how we deviate from those constraints and conventions. Ruby in general,
and Rails in particular are very good at following this approach, which
we should follow as well.

-d