[katello-devel] Number of tabs on the next line

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 17:00:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

the convention for spaces in Ruby is:
- to indent block of code use exactly 2 spaces (if, do..end, begin..end,
...)
- for line continuation use 4 spaces, optionally you can indent more to
align the attributes

I think the optional alignment should not be forced either way. Both
makes sense.

some_func some.computaion.param1,
           get.me.number.of.developers.in.katello,
           :an_option => 'a value'

Is more readable than

some_func some.computaion.param1,
     get.me.number.of.developers.in.katello,
     :an_option => 'a value'

The normal 4spaces indentation is needed as Lukas mentioned for longer
calls.

bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.bla.some_func(
     some.computaion.param1,
     get.me.number.of.developers.in.katello,
     :an_option => 'a value')

+1 I would keep both options.
+1 I would correct the bad formatting incrementally.

PS: The most feature-complete Ruby formater I've ever found is part of
RubyMine (it can also format all source files at once).

Petr