[katello-devel] Katello Backend Service Relationships and Architecture

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 10:35:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:19:34PM -0500, Eric Helms wrote:
> My intent for creating the diagram and bring to light the various implementation details surrounding each service was not to raise the ActiveResource debate again or to question the Foreman integration.  As my diagram showed, Candlepin has connections and touches almost every layer as did PulpV1 integration. Rather, my goal is to bring up a larger conversation about the Katello architecture as a whole going forward.  We are at a point where we are migrating to a completely new version of one backend service and re-writing a lot of the Katello bits aroun d it (Pulp) and simultaneously integrating a brand new backend engine (Foreman).  I am of the opinion, and I think based on replies that others echo this, that we should have a consistent architecture for the integration of backend services into Katello.  No matter what ends up being the choice, consistency is key.
>
> If there are no other agenda items for the Deep Dive tomorrow, perhaps we can take that time to discuss the state of each backend service integration wise and how we'd like to achieve consistency and a separation of concerns throughout the Katello layers.

Speaking about integration, I was collecting items in regard to our
orchestration and integration issues for several months now:

https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/OrchestrationNG

I am not sure if this is topic to raise now (definitely not a deep dive
topic), but eventually I would like to talk about it.

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine