[katello-devel] Foreman Registration Design

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 10:57:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:11:04AM +0100, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
> On 12.12.2012 19:26, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> >[1] https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/ForemanRegistrationDesign
>

> > SysAdmin? racks server hardware and notes MAC Address.
>
> When I had to provision HW in past, I never knew the MAC address
> before booting. Probably Dell, IBM or Fujitsu is writing it
> somewhere on box. But the commodity hardware did not have written it
> on box. And I do not recall it on Dell either, but I'm not 100%
> sure.
>
> What I like on Satellite was, that you can create activation key and
> then assign it to kickstart profile. And you can then boot up
> machine with that kickstart profile:
>
> Ie. tftp record would be:
> LABEL rhel60.x86_64.web-server.ks
>   KERNEL
> yourhostname.redhat.com::linux-install/rhel-x86_64-server-6/vmlinuz
>   APPEND initrd=yourhostname.redhat.com::linux-install/rhel-x86_64-server-6/initrd.img ks=http://yourhostname.redhat.com/ks/cfg/org/1/label/rhel-x86_64-webserver-6
>

> And when provisioning machine I would just choose boot from PXE and
> in menu choose label rhel60.x86_64.server.ks and it will be
> provisioned using kickstart profile rhel-x86_64-webserver-6 and use
> associated activation key (which mean i.e. install rhel6 in
> noninteractive mode, install httpd and deploy previously created
> configuration keys)
>
> Can we add this use case to this Design as well?

So basically the way it works is for a particular timeframe, you are
making your TFTP server to serve one same configuration (kickstart) for
all machines, right?

Well, this can only work for small companies. It's more Foreman related
question. I think you can do it with Foreman right now (manually editing
the template).

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine