[katello-devel] Rails 3.2 features

Eric D Helms ericdhelms at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 13:23:17 UTC 2012

I have recently spent some time working getting Katello up and running on
the Rails 3.2 stack and thought I would give a status update and point
people to the work in the event they wanted to explore or try it out.

Branch: https://github.com/Katello/katello/tree/rails32

You should be able to install a normal Katello git checkout, switch to the
branch and using RVM get the sever up and running.  Ping me if you run into
issues attempting to try it.

Green:
Asset Pipeline - fully integrated in both development and production
environments, assets moved to proper locations
Alchemy - submodule entirely removed from project, Alchemy now used as a
gem and Rails engine
Tupane - required defining tupane layouts in the views themselves (much
cleaner way of doing it anyhow)

Yellow:
Spec - Not fully flushed out or tested
Install - see above

Red:
Spec tests - Fixes for a lot of test failures, still a number of failures
exist, largely around the use of "update_attributes"
System Tests - Not run yet
UI Testing - items create and update, however, seeing validation messages
returned upon successful create of an object (multiple requests being made)

Any help trying to tackle or investigate the issues listed above would be
greatly appreciated.  Please reply here or ping me if you try to tackle one
or the other to prevent overlap where possible.  I had previously been
pushing directly into the branch due to the large size and testing nature
of some of the work.  I plan to start pull requesting into the branch from
here on out.

- Eric