[katello-devel] Spec failures - help?

Og Maciel omaciel at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 20:41:13 UTC 2012

So I have also been bitten by this, and even tried to fix/patch... here's what I did:

applications.rb:

-katello_config = YAML.load_file('/etc/katello/katello.yml')
+katello_config = YAML.load_file('/etc/katello/katello.yml') rescue nil
    if katello_config.nil?
      katello_config = YAML.load_file("#{Rails.root}/config/katello.yml") rescue nil
    end

So that load_file was blowing up if I ran this off a git checkout (and refused to cp katello.yml to my system's /etc). That fixed it... but then:

[src]$ rake gettext:find
rake aborted!
undefined method `add' for "/home/omaciel/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p357":String

Tasks: TOP => gettext:find

Not really sure what that means, so I ssh'd to my RHEL 6.1 system with katello installed from RPM and ran the same command from /usr/share/katello

# rake gettext:find
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- gettext

Tasks: TOP => gettext:find

Ok... went back to my local checkout and tried to run a couple of rake commands:

$ rake db:migrate
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
rake aborted!
could not connect to server: Connection refused
	Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Tasks: TOP => db:migrate

Why is it looking at /var/lib/rpm? Shouldn't I be able to do a migration from my checkout?

The reason why I went down this route was because I absolutely needed to update the *.pot file so that I could verify if a string was being added to the translations files or not. Maybe my issues above are just my lack of Rails configuration knowledge, but if we require katello to be "embedded" into the system in order to develop it, I find it sub optimal imho.
--
Og Maciel

Senior QE Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.