[katello-devel] where to get required katello gems

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 12:49:19 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 02:42 PM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Exactly, I will add that Bundler itself with its Gemfile.lock should be
> able to "lock" versions for us, but guys were seeing some issues in
> regard to updating, so this is also the reason for our own repo.
>
> In future, we would like to build both Fedora and RHEL repositories from
> Koji and start extracting those gems from RPMs inself - that would give
> us three gem repos (for Fedoras and for RHEL). So devs should be able to
> switch over from Fedora environment to RHEL easily.

I would suggest - If you need gem, which is not in Fedora, do not
download pure gem file, but put it in kalpana-gems. Create spec file for
that (this will make Review Request in Fedora later easier) and build it
in Koji using HOWTO I sent today.
I can even create yum repository with developers gem then.
And if some of them appear in Fedora/RHEL you do not need to change
anything and the transition will be flawless.
You can even create meta-package "developer-setup", which will require
all developers gem. So if you introduce new gem, everybody will get it
during their "yum upgrade" and you even do not have to announce it.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering