[katello-devel] UX project: redesign of permissions interface

Partha Aji paji at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 16:27:00 UTC 2012

I think the Aeolus/ Conductor view presented is a little simplistic given the degree of detail with respect to the permission clauses in katello.
Look at some of the forms of permission clauses https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/PermissionMagic#PermissionExamples
The columns would not only need to indicate the verbs which vary by resource types (like provider, activation keys), they would need also indicate the scoping (org/global) and the tag instances. Also the "verbs" used for each of those types are different (not just simple CRUD for everything).  I would start by figuring out a way to represent a permission like
"Role Foo can Read providers P1 and P2 in Organization 1"  and then go along representing "user can modify systems in Organization 2" in the same grid.

My view on this at this point is that I can see definite value for some sort of summary on role, it could be something as simple as  text that shows up when we hover on a role to show the permissions that belong to it or some cool way to visualize that.
As far as editing/creating perms is concerned I m not sure I would care that much for a grid view since the current UI neatly tries to classify things based on "Org Based Perms" vs "Global Perms". That is not to say they can't be improved but for me Role Summary is much more important than Role edit at this point..

Partha