[katello-devel] Where should subscriptions be?

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 14:30:44 UTC 2012

Questions from some design sessions on Foreman integration. Where should
we tie subscriptions to?

We could put them onto the the component outline to say "Any system
provisioned from this outline should consume from this subscription".
This is better for the case where you create the system record first,
and then provision it.

Or, we could put them on the activation key which would say "When you
register this machine with this key, you get this subscription". This is
better when you provision outside of katello and then register the
machine back.

Or, we could put them on both, and have some logic about how to handle
the case when it is on both. Or, perhaps, every component outline gets
an activation key?

-- bk