[katello-devel] where to get required katello gems

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 11:26:07 UTC 2012

I have a counter proposal which is more from Ruby world then the
solution described in previous emails.

- remove source 'http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/katello/gems/' and
other sources from Gemfile
- store all needed gems in vendor/cache as .gem files (directly in
katello master or a git-submodule) (all versions for f16 and RHEL)
- install gems with bundle install (without source specified bundler
picks up gems from vendor/cache)

Advantages:
- you can install all required gems on any platform: fedora, ubuntu or
osx (which I need)
- faster installation
- you can switch between fedora/RHEL env by replacing Gemfile.lock (lets
say we would have Gemfile.lock.f16 and Gemfile.lock.rhel in our git for
this purpose)
- easy access to and updates of gem versions
- you can include gems with CVE patches from fedora, everybody would
have correct versions of gems (which I currently don't have)

Disadvantages
- rubygem-* rpms are not being correctly packed. The included .gem files
are not containing CVE patches. We would need to come up with a
workaround to build updated .gem files or fix the issue. If this is
fixed, all you have to do to store gems in vendor/cache is 'bundle
package' [1].
- other possible problems i do not see, any ideas?

[1] http://gembundler.com/bundle_package.html

What do you think?

Petr