[katello-devel] where to get required katello gems

Miroslav Suchy msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 12:38:17 UTC 2012

On 16.7.2012 13:26, Petr Chalupa wrote:
> What do you think?

Can Katello manage gem files? I would keep with stuff which we can
manage, i.e. rpms.

 > - easy access to and updates of gem versions

This is actually disadvantage. Common develops thinking is (and I will
demonstrate it on commit c8e285af632f539874ae7b6836968996713bc2dd):
  "We need to add new gem rubygem-daemons"
  "Lets see what I can get?" - OK, version 1.1.4
  "Let put it in buildrequires"
And no one cares that in RHEL and Fedora is only 1.0.10.
So instead thinking about it, whether we can make it work with 1.0.10,
we will have to package and maintain one additional package for 3 other
platforms. :(

Mirek