[katello-devel] icon to represent "virtual guest" subscription

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 14:30:51 UTC 2012

Tom,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. I take your point about wanting to easily be able to scan for the type of subscription in the left list but as Kyle mentioned, the green/ yellow/ red icons are universally (and specifically in Katello as well) used to represent status  of whether something is on/ off or as an indicator of health or activity. So using these icons to represent anything else will shake the common expectation and also be inconsistent with other areas within the tool. Specifically in this case, the use of these icons is even more dangerous because it is not a stretch to associate these icons with subscription status and so these can easily be misunderstood.

The effectiveness of visual indicators in terms of communication and scan-ability in a list is inversely proportional to how many indicators exist per item.  Additionally, if we start introducing icons for types of subscriptions here, then we need to do that consistently everywhere else for all other objects and sometimes it is very hard to come up with visually meaningful icons that represent subtle variations of different objects that may be pretty abstract to begin with. At this point, icons will become nothing but visual noise.

That said, I still think your core requirement is valid and it can be addressed in other ways - For e.g, we can have list display filters to see only one or more type of subscription. This can scale for more types and be applied across many scenarios consistently and become a list feature. The filters could also be a mix of attributes - so for instance, I should be able to see all subscriptions created through consumption in a particular status ( Nice to have).We should also include the type as an attribute that displays on the rows on the left list for sure.

Thoughts?

-Malini