[katello-devel] Bumping up the Rails version 3.0.10 -> 3.0.15

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 09:58:03 UTC 2012

> Maybe I missed this in the thread, but what exactly is required from
> 3.0.15 that is not satisfied by 3.0.10 + CVE patches?
>
> We certainly can go through the exercise to update everything, but it
> will be a moderately involved effort.  A concrete justification would be
> good before we dive into that hole.

I totally share your opinion here. Why would we want to upgrade? If it
works, don't touch it. No, seriously in this case (3.0.10 vs 3.0.15)
there is no added value. We should use the version which is in the
oldest supported Fedora version - which is no Fedora 16. Since it is
still supported, we get security fixes "for free".

I don't get this "ruby race" of having the latest and greatest versions.
This is what geeks don't do :-)

My recommendation:

1) Let's make cross-teams deal we will try to stick with latest Fedora
version stack. Only if it's absolutely needed, let's upgrade, but I
don't see any reason for that. Today it's Fedora 16 rails version, next
upgrade would be to Fedora 17 stack.

2) Let's not rush with incorporating latest and greatest features.
Sometimes they has very cool things, but let us be realistic. About 10
new features, 20 bug fixes and 20 new bugs are introduced every release.
We need to deal with all of them.

3) For now I would recommend to downgrade Foreman. It's not big deal
since we already have Fedora 16 rails builds, it's a matter of testing
it out if it works.

4) Maybe it's a good time to start discussion about using our shared
koji instance. Currently we have koji instance which builds Katello
only. There is plenty of possibilities how to re-use it for building
Aeolus, Candlepin, Pulp and Foreman.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine