[katello-devel] "Interesting" log messages when starting katello

Eric Sammons esammons at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 17:56:31 UTC 2012

---- Original Message -----
> Moreover:
>
> # rpm -q katello
> katello-0.2.52-1.git.0.c9d729a.el6_3.noarch
> # service katello-jobs status
> katello-jobs is not running.
> # service katello-jobs start
> Starting katello-jobs: bash: /var/log/katello/jobs-startup.log:
> Permission denied
>  # ls -l /var/log/katello/jobs-startup.log
> ls: cannot access /var/log/katello/jobs-startup.log: No such file or
> directory

Try the following:

1. if getenforce return Enforcing:
   # setenforce 0
   # service katello-jobs start

if successful great we know it is selinux related; if not try:

2. Create the log file:
   # touch /var/log/katello/jobs-startup.log
   # chown owner.group /var/log/katello/jobs-startup.log
   # service katello-jobs start
     [note: this code fail due to you creating the file by hand, doing this may cause a selinux error.  You may need to set the context on the file appropriately.]