[katello-devel] Future feature RFC: Package Upload

Brad Buckingham bbuckingham at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 13:33:06 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 08:30 AM, Todd Sanders wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 03:25 PM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
>> In the future, the plan is to provide Katello users with the ability
>> to upload a package.  This email is to present a couple of options
>> for accomplishing this in the UI and gather some initial feedback.
>>
>> Assumptions:
>> - Prior to package upload, the target repository must exist.
>> - When a package is uploaded, it will be uploaded only to the Library.
>>
>> The following are a couple of options for accomplishing this in the UI:
>>
>> 1. Incorporate it as part of Content Management -> Custom Content
>> Providers
>>
>>     For example,
>>     a. select [provider] -> Products & Repos -> [repository]
>>     b. from the Repository Details subpanel, allow the user the
>> ability to browse
>>         to a package file and click 'Upload'
>>
>> 2. Incorporate it as part of Content Management -> Promotions
>>
>>     For example,
>>     a. in the content tree, navigate to Repos
>>     b. select the repo.  (Note: currently, users can see repos
>> listed, but not select them).
>>     c. from the Repository Details pane (new), allow the user the
>> ability to browse
>>         to a package file and click 'Upload'.  (Notes: We could also
>> use this pane to display
>>         a few details on the repository, such as name, url and other
>> useful info.).
>>
>> I lean towards option 2 for a couple of reasons:
>> - Before a user adds a package, they are likely to browse to see what
>> packages exist.  Currently, this would be done from the Promotions
>> page; therefore, they would already be on the page.
>> - In the future, users will have the ability to download packages.
>> Assuming this will be based on earlier implementations, this would be
>> from the Promotions page; therefore, having both upload/download on
>> Promotions keeps it 'somewhat' consistent.
>>
>> There may be other options as well.
>>
>> Any thoughts/opinions/preferences?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brad

[brad] Folks,  A lot of great feedback.  Thanks!  As a next step, will
create a wiki page to outline the requirements for the feature.  For
integration in the UI, will assume that this will be part of the overall
content browser solution, so we'll work the details of UI look/design as
part of that bigger feature.

> Couple of comments here:
>
> 1. Let's not reinvent the wheel here, the heavy lifting has already
> been done in Pulp.  We should expose the same set of functionality
> that Pulp provides with regards to package uploads via it's cli.  See:
> http://pulpproject.org/ug/UGContent.html#upload

[brad] +1.  I had looked over the REST APIs, but not the CLI.  Thanks
for the pointer.
> 2. Package uploads are only valid for "Custom" Providers.

[brad] +1.  That was the intent.
> 3. We need to support both uploading single packages and/or
> *directories* of packages to the Library, and only to the Library.
> IMO, the best place for this functionality would be within a content
> browser either (a) from a screen where the user is browsing all
> packages in the Library, or (b) from a screen where the where the user
> is browsing all packages scoped to a repository in the Library.  Isn't
> the content browser functionality targeted for our next release?

[brad] Thanks for the input regarding the needs.  Based on the
clarifications on what Katello will need to support, the content browser
is the better fit, as it doesn't really fit in to the existing
capabilities.  Content browser is planned for the next release.  We'll
need to get the discussions rolling on that one, if they haven't
already, since this would be a small piece of that bigger solution.
> 4. Packages should be able to exist without repository associations.
> Meaning I can upload to server, then associate with one or more
> repositories.  This could be done in a single operation for
> convenience, but not required.

[brad] Good point.  It would provide more flexibility to not force it as
a single operation.
> 5. Packages that already exist in a Library repository should be able
> to be associated and un-associated from other Library repositories.

[brad] +1
> 6. We need to support chunked uploads; and the upload should be able
> to resume if restarted after a failure.

[brad] +1
> 7. The uploads should be supported over SSL.

[brad] +1