[katello-devel] Deleting a manifest and pulp

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 07:27:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 01:32:08PM -0400, Tom McKay wrote:

> First, from a headpin point-of-view manifest deletion is trivial: Call candlepin and delete it, then remove references to the Red Hat provider subscriptions from activation keys.

What happens to registered/subscribed consumers then?

> For katello it is much more complicated. In addition to cleaning out katello references such as activation keys, what happens to the pulp content?

I would like to ask first what is the desired behavior for consumers. If
they should be immediately removed from subscriptions, that is in the
next refresh call after 4 hours, then we could delete the repos from
Pulp. Best solution could be to defer this deletion 5 hours or something
(maybe to schedule this if this is possible?) but then reimport could
cause issues (repoid would be occupied for some time).

If there is a way of immediate unregistration then I think we could
delete the repos immediately.

> What is the desired state of a Katello system after you delete a
> manifest?

I assume deleting all the referenced data from Katello databases and
backend engines.

> Should we delete all the repos associated with the manifest after you
> delete it?
> Should we leave the content there but hide it?
> Should we leave the content there but note that it is unentitled?

I think so, and I think we should do it immediately (asking consumers to
unregister ASAP). If we must wait 4 hours for technical reasons
(refresh), we must inform the user he can reimport after 5 hours and
defer deletions.

> What happens when we re-import a manifest .. should it just stitch
> everything back up together?

Stitching in software development does not sound good at all :-) I'd
rather delete everything re-creating it. But this really depends on what
are PM requirements are on this. Maybe they will really want consumers
to stay subscribed until manifest is re-imported.

My obligatory question follows:

How does Satellite do it today?

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine