[katello-devel] Deleting a manifest and pulp

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 17:06:37 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 03:27 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 01:32:08PM -0400, Tom McKay wrote:
>
>> First, from a headpin point-of-view manifest deletion is trivial: Call candlepin and delete it, then remove references to the Red Hat provider subscriptions from activation keys.
>>

> What happens to registered/subscribed consumers then?

If a manifest is removed, all machines should loose their susbcriptions
and be unable to get updates from CFSE. The machine should still be
registered with CFSE.

>> For katello it is much more complicated. In addition to cleaning out katello references such as activation keys, what happens to the pulp content?
>
> I would like to ask first what is the desired behavior for consumers. If
> they should be immediately removed from subscriptions, that is in the
> next refresh call after 4 hours, then we could delete the repos from
> Pulp. Best solution could be to defer this deletion 5 hours or something
> (maybe to schedule this if this is possible?) but then reimport could
> cause issues (repoid would be occupied for some time).

I have assumed that the consumer is immediately removed on the server,
and at hte next yum call or checkin hte client would reflect it.

> If there is a way of immediate unregistration then I think we could
> delete the repos immediately.
>
>> What is the desired state of a Katello system after you delete a
>> manifest?
>>
> I assume deleting all the referenced data from Katello databases and
> backend engines.
>
>> Should we delete all the repos associated with the manifest after you
>> delete it?
>> Should we leave the content there but hide it?
>> Should we leave the content there but note that it is unentitled?
>>
> I think so, and I think we should do it immediately (asking consumers to
> unregister ASAP). If we must wait 4 hours for technical reasons
> (refresh), we must inform the user he can reimport after 5 hours and
> defer deletions.
>
>> What happens when we re-import a manifest .. should it just stitch
>> everything back up together?
>>
> Stitching in software development does not sound good at all :-) I'd
> rather delete everything re-creating it. But this really depends on what
> are PM requirements are on this. Maybe they will really want consumers
> to stay subscribed until manifest is re-imported.
>
> My obligatory question follows:
>
> How does Satellite do it today?

Can we delete from all but library? Or, perhaps, just leave it orphaned?
where it is.

-- bk