[katello-devel] The final answer for gettext stings interpolation, the universe and everything.

Ivan Nečas inecas at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 17:56:32 UTC 2012

Hello team,

There were some discussion about interpolating the gettext strings in
history of Katello (for example here [1] or [2] here). But still there
might be some doubts on it. The final answer is (not 42):

_("A string like #{this} will never ever be translated. Gettext just
skips it").

Well, this is not the complete answer. What's missing is a script that
will detect this problems automagically. So here it is (see the attachment).

I will fix the rest of the strings tomorrow (thanks Mirek for already
fixing major part of them) and add this script to our builds, refusing
to build if there is a problem) so that no other interpolation will leak
into our code base.

[1] -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/katello-devel/2011-August/msg00138.html
[2] -