[katello-devel] moving to ruby 1.9.3

Tom McKay thomasmckay at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 11:15:48 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

+1

All this talk of community developers, etc. is fine and interesting. However, this software is written for RPM based customers. What are there needs? Unless I am mistaken, katello is not a project born out of a vibrant community of Ruby on Rails developers all chomping at the bit to 'bundle install' from rubygems.org.

The reality is that there is a very, very simple flow for developing katello: yum install katello-all, katello-configure, git checkout, sym link /usr/share/katello to checkout. If someone wants to develop katello, they probably can do it. And why would they need to install any other gems? No other gems would be allowed into github until it worked with above. Do the work, if you want it in. Otherwise, develop within the framework.

And if someone wants to develop a rich katello feature there are ways for that too. Look at ldap_fluff which is a gem that adds active directory support for login. Throw in all the work being done to allow katello to run w/o all the backend services, which will be helpful. Look at foreman which can link in without too much complication (though a lot of work, of course).

I'm 100% for easy developer setup. I'm 100% against anything that makes it more difficult to deliver a product that is useful for both Red Hat _customers_ and community _users_. Tough for developers? Tough.

</rant>