[katello-devel] informative cli designs

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 18:39:19 UTC 2012

On 10/18/2012 04:07 PM, Jordan OMara wrote:
> In certain situations the CLI does not provide a lot of information to
> the user. Example:
>
> Id                 : 1
> Name               : key_one
>      this is a  key
>      Usage Limit        : unlimited
>      Environment Id     : 2
>      System Template Id : None
>      Pools:
>          [ ff8080813a66136e013a756303420044 ]
>
> In the UI, 'pools' shows you quite a bit of information about the
> pool, not just the Id. Presumably the idea is that the CLI user would
> make subsequent queries to get info about the pool they wanted.
>
> Question 1: Is this the desired use case, or should we provide a
> 'verbose' flag and allow the user to see nested pool data as well?

The other classes have verbose apis. I could see adding pool id and
name, so that you can query against it later.

> Question 2: Assuming the answer to question 1 is "yes", is the best
> way to do this (or at least the accepted katello pattern) to make the
> Activation Key API return more pool info, or to make the CLI make
> subsequent calls to get additional pool data?
>
> YOUR INPUT IS REQUESTED,

I like the atomic nature of the api calls, since it does make the
simpler. I would suggest we attack it this way:

if there is a task you need to do, what is the cli not supporting.

-- bk