[katello-devel] moving to ruby 1.9.3

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 07:58:16 UTC 2012

> Also be careful: if you have Gemfile.lock in source control, which I
> think is a good idea for the record, but you also have system gem/rpms
> installed, the actual gemset you are running may become
> unpredictable. We have two modes for Aeolus:
>
> 1. Use only userspace gems, keep Gemfile.lock in place, ignore system
> gems;
> 2. Use system gems, move Gemfile.lock to Gemfile.lock.in, pass flag to
> Bundler to tell it to prefer system gems.
>
> You have to have the second mode to test the RPM version of the
> project. For everyday development we mostly use the first mode though.

Yeah, that's the plan. There is also a third possibility which Foreman
makes use:

3. Do not distribute Gemfile.lock in the rpm and have a post-transaction
section which creates it with "bundle install --local". But if there are
any gems installed by user (gem install command), they could be used and
I think even in this case we should patch bundler to use only systems
gems.

>From this three options I like number 2 the most.

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal