[katello-devel] Content view filter logic

Kyle Baker kybaker at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 20:28:22 UTC 2012

Kyle Baker
---
UX Team
Desk 978 392 3116
IRC  kylebaker

----- Original Message -----
> [...]
> >>
> >> 1.  Generate a new view
> >> 2.  Promote new view to next environmnet
> >> 3.  Migrate all systems from old view to new view
> >> 4.  Delete old view in next environment
> >> 5.  repeat for all environments
> >>
> >> You're introducing 2 additional steps for each environment.  I
> >> think
> >> this will be more common that wanting to leave dozens of old views
> >> around.
> >>
> >> If we do push off refreshing, we need to make it VERY easy to move
> >> large
> >> numbers of systems around.  We still need to make it easy
> >> regardless,
> >> but its much more important if you can't refresh the views.
> >
> > So,can we dothis at promotion then? Make part of the change set:
> >
> > promote this view, and move all system from that view to this view?
> > That way, you make promotion decisions in one place, and content
> > veiew
> > definitions in another.

> >> So as I said, some discussion and brainstorming needs to be done
> >> around
> >> this.  We intentionally didn't get into these details when we
> >> planned
> >> out this feature months ago just due to the detailed complexity.
> >>  But
> >> for this case to me, if i exclude 'httpd' that should exclude any
> >> errata
> >> that only includes 'httpd', even if i have included it in my time
> >> frame.  Goes back to the exclude filters take precedence.   I
> >> would
> >> probably argue that we should only have 'package' excludes, no
> >> 'errata'
> >> or 'package group' excludes.
> >
> > Dunno.. need to think on this a bit.

> >> 1.  Create a content view definition
> >> 2.  Add "Red hat enterprise linux product" with only "6Server"
> >> repo
> >> selected.  6Server will have all updates up until today.
> >> 3.  Add a filter for the 6Server repo  only including Errata up to
> >> 6.2's
> >> release date.
> >> 4.  Add an additional filter that satisfies this user story:
> >>
> >>   * As a user with administer privileges on Content View
> >>   Definitions or
> >>     modify privilege on a Content View Definition, I should be
> >>     able to
> >>     define an errata filter to whitelist errata by IDs.
> >
> > Will folks know this date? I can see how this will work, but it
> > seems
> > cumbersome. It is probably good enough for v2.0
>
> So for satellite customers they seemed smart enough to find this
> information.  But it really gets down to when you say "6.2" what does
> that mean?   Generally customers mean the package set when 6.2 is
> released.  The "Rhel 6.2" repo does not give them this does it?  From
> my
> understanding the 6.2 repo contains all package up to the release of
> RHEl 6.3.  I'm not sure that this is really what customers want

[Kyle] Can we give the user the choice to specify errata which are included, excluded, date/type, or for a specific product. When a user chooses a specific product it could pre-populate a whitelist of the errata pushed for that product.

> -Justin
>

> >> For Errata X & Errata Y.  I'm not sure that this was shown in the
> >> mockups, but it needs to be added if its not there.
> >
> > I did not see it, I only saw date range.

[Kyle] In the wireframes the user can specify errata which are included, excluded, by date. I only showed the detail view for date and type.