[katello-devel] API v2 - proposed changes in routes

Tomas Strachota tstrachota at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 12:57:27 UTC 2013

Hi team,
Martin and me are working on API v2. We went through the pain points
that were discovered and described during documentation process of v1 [1].

In terms of routing the changes we propose are summarized in [2].
I divided them into 4 groups:
  1) routes created by mistake in routes.rb or unused routes
  2) routes nested too deep
  3) other duplicate or not much resty routes
  4) RPC-like calls I guess we can't do anything with
The routes in the etherpad are in "rake routes" format with comments
under each of them.

There are also planned changes in output json format and accepted
parameter. We will describe them in separate email.

In a discussion on irc Jeff suggested new feature - possibility to
identify resources by it's names. I think it's something we can extend
the clean api v2 with later. For sake of simplicity and speed of
development I'd rather stay only with cleanup and making the api
consistent. We can do names as identifiers later as a separate task if
we find it useful.

Opinions are welcome
Tomas

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/APIDocumentationEfforts